Been on the road since...

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, November 8, 2010

New Mexico State University

I was greeted in New Mexico by breathtaking mountains and a beautiful dessert. The 45 minute drive from the airport to Las Cruces, NM was overwhelming. There was so much to see. I10 which runs all the way from California to Florida was where I found myself when I got to see the Mexico Boarder for the first time. I was a little stunned and got this strange pit in my stomach upon seeing the border and the image behind it. Shacks, run down homes, and dirt streets to my left, and skyscrapers to my right. It was crazy how a 20 foot guarded fence could create such a different scene. The view of Juarez, Mexico the most dangerous city in the world was many things. I felt sad, happy, scared, selfish, and insignificant all at the same time. It did make me proud to be an American, but it was so sad to see the poverty just inches from the land of the free. It was one sight I soon won't forget.
Similar to the drive, New Mexico was mesmerizing. The culture and food were two of my most favorite things about this trip. My stomach may beg to differ. The one thing you must eat if you ever find yourself in New Mexico is green chili. It is the signature ingredient in all dishes including pasta, burritos, and even ice cream. YES, ice cream. Not my favorite topping but I do commend them for being creative. As long as I never have to eat green chili in ice cream again, I'd go back to New Mexico. Next time, hopefully I see some aliens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment